IN 1944, when the
ashes and smoke of World War II completely vanished in thin air,
then acting Iloilo governor Patricio V. Confesor initiated a move to
open in Cabatuan a branch of Iloilo High School which was then the
only high school in the entire province of Iloilo. The move
materialized and so in December 1944, the Cabatuan Regional High
School was born!
The school offered a
refresher course in secondary education. The first graduation was
held in June 1945, with Enrique Binayas and Ana Sumagaysay as
valedictorian and salutatorian, respectively. The first
administrator was Jose Gonzales.
The following school
year 1945-46, the school offered complete classes from first to
fourth year. Hundreds of students from the town and neighboring
towns flocked to the school. The first batch of the formal graduates
was headed by Editha Jiloca as valedictorian and Beata Quiñon as
In 1948, the school
was renamed Cabatuan National High School. Civic-minded citizens of
the town, headed by former Mayors Wenceslao Grio and Pedro
Dejecacion, and Glicerio Cerrada, paved the way for the acquisition
of the present site of the school. The school site, which is 8.6
hectares, was donated by brothers Benjamin and Constantino
Vistavilla and former Rep. Patricio Confesor.
On June 21, 1969, the
school was nationalized with the passage of Republic Act No. 5544,
converting Cabatuan High School to Cabatuan National Comprehensive
High School. The law was authored by former Congressman Gloria M.
Tabiana of the third congressional district of Iloilo, through the
efforts of the Mayor Francisco Tobias.
After one year of
administering the school, Jose Gonzales, the first principal, was
transferred to his hometown Lambunao. A new administrator, Jose
Gorriceta, took over the principalship of the school. His
five-year administration of the school ended in 1951.
From 1951-1968, Tomas
Torreblanca discharged the duties of the school principal. During
his term, he was able to change the old nipa building to wooden
building salvaged from the demolished buildings of Iloilo High
With the retirement of
Tomas Torreblanca, Remedios Miranda, the assistant principal, took
over. But her administration lasted only for three months because she was
promoted to another school.
promotion, Lilia G. Fancubela, then the guidance coordinator, was
named teacher-in-charged designate of the school. She acted as
principal from October 1 to June 1970.
During her incumbency,
Miss Fancubela effected the leveling of the ground in front of the
administration building. She started the fencing of the school.
On July 1, 1970 a new
administrator was assigned in school - Jose Ledesma. He efficiently
managed the school until his retirement on March 30, 1971, after
which Anita Jamero assumed the stewardship of the school until June
30 following her promotion.
It was during the
administration of Crispin Vacante that the physical set-up of the
school remarkably changed. A number of buildings mushroomed on the
school campus and several improvements had been effected. His
administration ended with his death on January 1, 1980.
Immediately, Lucia T.
Murga, assistant principal, was designated officer-in-charge of the
school. Despite the short administration that ended on March 1980,
she effected some improvements in school.
On March 7, 1980, a
new administrator took over the helm of CNCHS, Florentino P.
Gonzales. Like his predecessors, he exerted all efforts to improve
the school physically and academically. His term expired on August
Lilia G. Fancubela
made her “sentimental return” to the school on August 16, 1982. The
“balik-paaralan” administrator buckled down to work, obsessed with
the desire to give greater fame and honor to the school.
During her 14-year
incumbency as the school administrator, she effected a lot of
improvements in the physical appearance and facilities of the
school. Through her efforts, an imposing administration building was
constructed. Annexed to both sides of the building are two other
buildings housing the English and Math classes. She completed the
construction of Social Studies building.
With the help of the
PTA, she finally solved the water problem of the school by securing
the donation by the family of the late Leodegario Cuarte of a lot
where the source of water is located. Again through the financial
assistance of the PTA, she effected the construction of a 3-room
building now used for agricultural classes. Annexed to the building
is another 3-room building constructed out of school funds.
Improving further the
physical set-up of the school, she effected the repair of the
canteen, the H. E. building, a portion of the old quadrangle
building now utilized as Values Education building, and the
relocation of the a new building housing the Supply Office and stock
coordination with the Alumni Association and the PTA of the school,
the fence of the school has been made permanent. Through a capital
outlay, she effected the construction of a Filipino building
designed to be a double storey. The first floor composed of seven
classrooms is utilized for Filipino classes.
Another modern and
imposing building constructed during Fancubela’s incumbency is the
P4.6-million, two-storey Science building funded by the United State
Agency for International Development through the Economic Support
Fund. Started was the construction of a two-room Science laboratory
building funded by the Department of Science and Technology.
One of Fancubela’s
major achievements was the titling of the 8.6-hectare site of the
With Fancubela’s on
June 1, 1995, Victor Maroma was designated officer-in-charge. During
his stewardship of the school for two months and 13 days, Maroma
introduced some improvements in the physical and academic aspects of
On august 16, 1995 the
Regional Office of DECS appointed a new school administrator –Rey B.
Vencer. Prior to his new assignment, Vencer was the DECS Regional
Officer, supervisor of Math. Weeks after assumption of office, he
formulated a Vision and Mission Statement to provide direction for
administration, Vencer facilitated the completion of the Engineering
Science Education Project building funded by DOST. Adjacent to the
2-Science Laboratory building is a 2-classroom building constructed
through the pork barrel funds of Iloilo Rep. Licurgo Tirador and
Senate President Ernesto Maceda.
For having been
evaluated as one of the top Science and Technology-oriented high
school in the Philippines, CNCHS became a recipient of 15 computer
units. The new facilities housed in a computer room furnished by the
PTA and the Alumni Association of the school are now used for the
practicum of students taking up computer education.
CNCHS has carved a
name of regional and national magnitude. This record of the school
has been established through the years due to the collective efforts
of all school personnel, government agencies, and non-government
organizations in town.
Mr. Victor Maroma,
National Comprehensive High School
Street Extension, Cabatuan, Iloilo
Tel. Nos: +63 33 522 9105; +63 33 522 7850; +63 33 522 8104